Healthy and Happy during the Holidays
Some ideas on getting through the Holidays with a Little Sanity…
How do you get through the holidays without feeling exhausted, drained, frustrated and sad?
Set Priorities - There’s no one answer, but what I’ve found helps is to over and over again take a few minutes to set priorities.
- What really needs to be done?
- Who do I really want to spend time with?
- Can things be simplified?
It sounds like I’m talking about tasks here doesn’t it? Well, emotional boundaries and our to-do lists tend to get blurred together. Our desire to connect in loving ways causes us to lose track of what we can or should do on all levels.
Set realistic goals and be flexible, but not so flexible that you give up your own personal time and space.
- Some of us are energized by being social, others need more personal reflective time.
- Know how much social and personal time you need.
- Let go of the image of the “perfect” holiday or “but that’s the way we’ve always done it”.
- Make some new traditions or change your expectations and goals if necessary.
Don't Take it Personally - Also be aware that other people may be feeling the need to do the same. Don’t take it personally if they also change plans or don’t do it the way they’ve always done it.
Here are some suggestions on what you can do to make the holidays less stressful.
- Plan with Family - Family get-togethers are fraught with anticipation, need, guilt, and love. Sit down with your family and decide what you want to do for the holiday season – do you really want to do things the way “it’s always been done” or would it be helpful to change some things, simplify or make them more meaningful?
- Don’t set expectations too high for yourself or the day. If you wish things to be the same, you are going to be disappointed.
- Let go of the feeling that there is a right or wrong way. Just because it’s tradition doesn’t mean it can’t change.
- Tradition vs something else? There is no right or wrong way to handle the day. Some may wish to follow family traditions, while others may choose to change.
- Watch the “shoulds.” Pay attention to what is actually doable for you and your family.
- Set limits. Do the things that are very special and/or important to you. Let some of the other things go.
- Do you really need to....? Do you really have to bake that pie, cut that tree, make that gift? Does the thought of doing it make you tired? Then give yourself a break and go buy one or decide to do without it.
- Change shopping habits. Does shopping sound like fun or a chore? Consider buying online or through a catalog. Talk to your friends and family and determine if you really need to exchange gifts. What about just exchanging heartfelt letters?
- Cut back on sending cards. If you’re going to see someone over the holidays, do you really need to send a card?
- Try not to anticipate. Don’t forget, anticipation of any holiday can be worse than the actual holiday.
Wear BioElectric Shield Personal Energy Protection Pendant. One thing I’ve found that has helped me over the years is wearing my BioElectric Shield. The Shield helps your energy stay centered and balanced, and helps to deflect other people’s energy. However, because we are often so connected to friends and family, we tend to still reach out and let in or absorb too much of their anxiety, pain, anticipation….you get the general idea. If you are highly sensitive, this is even a bigger issue for you.
The Shield can’t keep you completely isolated, nor can it keep you from taking on energies when you open yourself up to them. It can, however, assist you in being aware of what’s you, what’s not and help you learn to shift that old pattern.
Center Yourself -
- Center - Take a few minutes a day to center yourself and ask if what you’re feeling is all yours.
- Intention of clarity - If it's not all yours, just take a deep breath, and hold the intention that you will be clear, loving and present, but will be so without taking on anyone else’s energy.
- Upgrade? - If you find that after a time of practicing this you’re still having difficulty with this issue, you may want to consider upgrading to the next “level” of Shield protection. It may be that the Shield you are wearing isn’t quite as effective as it can be for your sensitivity needs.
Above all, relax and enjoy yourself.
If you're feeling especially stressed, here are some lovely "feel good" videos that may give you a boost. We've saved these to our bookmarks to replay anytime we need a little extra positivity in our lives. Most of us don't hear these words enough. Try playing these videos when you're feeling unloved, unsupported, or suffering from the winter blahs. These are sure to leave you smiling.
I LOVE YOU
I BELIEVE IN YOU
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL
Read more Ideas on Surviving the Holidays