5G Phones and 5G Wireless Refer to Two Different Technologies
Both 5G phones and 5G WiFi are used in wireless communications, but this is the ONLY thing they have in common.
What is 5G Cellular?
We get a lot of phone calls from customers who are wondering if their 5G phones are the same thing as the dreaded 5G technology. The good news is that it’s not!
It simply means that the cellular phone industry has come up with a better phone for you. It’s their 5th generation of technological wizardry, and yes, it usually works with 5G networks as well.
When 5G cell phones started out, they had limited capacity for data, and your phone bill was related to the number of minutes you used. (Boy, that was a long time ago!). Gradually, as phones improved their own interior microchips, their capacity increased. These cellular phones were termed 3G or 3rd generation, 4G or 4th generation, and now 5G, fifth generation.
Each generation allowed for more data to be processed at faster speeds.
A Brief History of Cellular Technology from 2G to 5G phones
- The first cell phone was introduced in 1983. It cost $4000 and lasted for all of 30 minutes of talk time. It was about the size of a large submarine sandwich. We’d have to assume this was 1st generation technology.
- 2G cellular networks started in the 1990s. These were the first cell phones to allow texting.
- 3G networks were launched in Tokyo in 2001. This technology allowed faster data transmission. Media could now stream over mobile networks. This technology was overwhelmed by the number of applications. It took 26 hours to download a 2-hour movie on your phone,
- 4G was developed using both WiMax and the more popular LTE networks. You will remember when the Blackberry (2005) was introduced, and then the Apple iPhone (2008), and finally the Samsung Galaxy Note (2011). 4G made it possible to download a 2-hour movie in 6 minutes.
- 5G phone – the new cellular standard, promises faster connection speed. With 5G, you can download a 2-hour movie in 3.6 seconds! This is faster than your cable internet connection!
The 5 in 5G Wireless refers to the 5 GHz Wireless Frequency
If your cable company tells you that you have a 5G router this means you have a home networking system that hosts the fast 5 GHz (Gigahertz) frequency. This is where the confusion comes in for most people. What they should say is that you have a 5 GHz – Gigahertz wireless router.
And to make it even more confusing, most of these routers actually host both 2.4 GHz as well as the 5 GHz speed.
What’s the difference between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz?
The 5 GHz, in general, covers a much smaller area than the 2.4 GHz frequency. Because the 5 GHz is a much higher frequency, with shorter waves, it does not travel over long distances. For example, it has more difficulty going through walls than the 2.4 GHz frequencies.
There are 3 types of 5 GHz wireless that wireless companies are installing in the USA:
- High-Band -mmWave high-band 5G is offered by T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon. It is approximately 1ox faster than LTE, but you need to be situated very close to a tower or transmitter to get these speeds.
- Mid-Band 5G: Offered by Sprint, it is about 6 times faster than LTE
- Low-Band 5G: Offered by T-Mobile/AT&T, it’s about 20% faster than LTE
Most carriers are rolling out the high-band mmWave networks slowly. However, the bottom line is that the higher frequencies have not been tested for safety on humans, and there is a global movement protesting the installation of the mmWave technology.
What carriers are NOT talking about is the amount of EMF radiation that comes with these higher frequency networks.
We are Flying Blind When it Comes to the Safety of 5G Wireless networks and 5G phones
- The companies implementing this technology have admitted that they do not know of ANY safety studies being on regarding the safety of this technology for humans, animals, wildlife, and all of nature. Most carriers are rolling out the high-band mmWave networks slowly.
- The bottom line is that the higher frequencies have not been tested for safety on humans, and there is a global movement protesting the installation of the mmWave technology. The World Health Organization has already classified radiation from radio frequencies (including WiFi) as a potential 2B carcinogen.
- Hundreds of studies have already proven that EMF radiation can have serious biological effects.
- Dr. Martin Pall, an internationally respected researcher on the effect of EMF radiation has said: “The 5G Rollout is Absolutely Insane“.
- Dr. Ronald Melnick, Ph.D. states that “5G can not be assumed safe.”
This 5-minute video presents information from scientists, engineers, senators, MDs, and citizens who suddenly found 5G had been installed in their neighborhood. The health effects of wireless technology have been proven in hundreds of studies (see www.bioiniative.org).
Take a Quiz – How much exposure do you have to EMF?
It’s always wise to be proactive when it comes to your health and vitality. We recommend taking the EMF Protection Quiz. The quiz is based on your exposure and sensitivity to EMF radiation. The other quiz is designed for anyone who is sensitive to other people’s energy. The HSP Quiz will also provide energy protection recommendations for you.